Our aim is to help, teach and encourage children to develop as enthusiastic, confident, independent users of language through the spoken and written word. We recognise that language is central to all learning and we appreciate that language empowers children to communicate creatively and imaginatively, as well as allowing them to engage with others at an early age.
In the Foundation Stage the emphasis is placed upon communication, language and literacy development skills through structured play, child choice and teacher directed activities including the letters and sounds programme. In key stages one and two language and literacy, and daily phonics, are taught every day following the New Primary Curriculum. A complete range of language skills are taught throughout the school which include speaking and listening, writing in a variety of forms and for different audiences, reading with understanding, research and retrieval of information and fostering an appreciation and love of literature.
We use a variety of phonic based books which are matched to a child's phonic level. Children who do not meet the Year 1 National requirements for Phonics (secure Phase 5), receive additional support, which can include Read, Write, Inc., Better Reading and additional phonics.
Children learn grammar and spellings appropriate to their needs and to help them write with fluency and efficiency. A great emphasis throughout the school is placed upon the development of speaking and listening skills. To develop these skills a variety of activities are integrated into both the English lesson and throughout the curriculum, from group discussion and debates, to various drama activities.
National Curriculum - English
- National Curriculum-English.
- English - Glossary.
- English - Spelling.
- English - Vocabulary, grammar and punctuation.
Reading and Writing Curriculum Plan
Reading in the New Curriculum - Parents/ Carers Guide
- Y1 Autumn Writing example - shugborough.docx
- Y1 Spring Writing example -Teddy.docx
- Y1 Summer Writing example-Samaritan.docx
- Year 2 Letter Summer.docx
- Year 2 Narrative 1 Summer.docx
- Year 2 Procedural Summer.docx
- Year 2 Recount Summer.docx
- Year 2 Narrative 2 Summer.docx
- Year 2 Narrative Autumn.docx
- Year 2 Narrative Spring.docx
- Year 3 Narrative- Spring.docx
- Year 3 Narrative- Autumn.docx
- Year 3 Narrative- Summer.docx
- Year 4 Exemplar Text Autumn.docx
- Year 4 Exemplar Text Spring.doc
- Year 4 Exemplar Text Summer Term.docx
- Year 5 Autumn Term - Narrative.docx
- Year 5 Spring Term - Narrative.docx
- Year 5 Summer term - non fiction.docx
- Year 6 Autumn Narrative.docx
- Year 6 Spring Narrative.docx
- Year 6 Summer Narrative.docx
- Reading tips for parents of children in key stage one.pdf
- Key Stage 2 Reading Prompts.pdf
- Reading questions to ask your child when you are reading with them.pdf
- 10 tips on hearing your child read.pdf
- Reading by Six.pdf
- Reading and literacy.pdf
- Spelling Word Lists by Year Group