PSHE and RHE
At St Filumena’s Catholic Primary School we want every child to be happy and enthusiastic learners of PSHE and RHE, and to be eager to achieve their very best in order to fulfil their God-given talents. We firmly believe that the recipe for success is high quality first-wave teaching in PSHE and RHE, which is central to the life of our happy, caring school.
Intent – What we are trying to achieve?
- Children will meet the National Curriculum expectations in PSHE and RHE, which will be taught by highly-qualified, enthusiastic staff who will support children to develop mastery of concepts and inspire enthusiasm and interest in the subject..
- Opportunities will exist for children of all ages to experience learning beyond the classroom. This will allow them to enrich their knowledge by, for example, pupils will have access to healthcare professionals to think about healthy lifestyles or for older pupils, mental health professionals to discuss wellbeing.
- Children will develop a deep understanding of the subjects they are studying. They will increasingly use their prior knowledge to solve problems and develop the sophistication of PSHE and RHE.
- Children will understand how Catholic virtues and British Values relate to PSHE and RHE.
- In PSHE and RHE, children will develop the skills to develop confidence and a sense of responsibility within themselves, develop their own God-given attributes, develop positive relationships built on mutual respect and develop a healthy and safe lifestyle.
- Children will develop a real understanding and appreciation of the world learning from the best that has been developed and said. For example: Local health and support workers, dieticians, emergency service providers, National campaigns (NHS Change for life).
Implementation – How do we translate our vision into practice?
- The subject leader for PSHE / RHE will evaluate provision in order to ensure that teaching and learning in PSHE / RHE is outstanding. Where necessary, staff will receive coaching and training in PSHE / RHE.
- Carefully designed schemes of learning in PSHE / RHE ensure consistency and progress of all learners..
- High quality teaching responds to the needs of children. Spaced learning is a key focus of all formative and summative assessment with teachers providing feedback in lessons in order to identify misconceptions early.
- High quality input from experts and educational resources complement the delivery of specialist learning admirably. Children understand how PSHE / RHE is used in the wider world including careers.
Impact – What is the impact of our curriculum on the students?
- Children experience a wide range of learning challenges within the art and know appropriate responses to them.
- Through PSHE / RHE, children deepen their appreciation of their faith and fulfil their God-given talents.
- Children of all abilities and backgrounds achieve well in PSHE / RHE reflected in outstanding progress that reveals a clear learning journey. Children talk enthusiastically about their learning in PSHE / RHE and are eager to further their learning in the next stages of their education.
- There is a proven track record of test success that reflects the impact of deep learning.
- Clear outcomes focus and guide all PSHE development plans and drive improvement.
- Fundamental British Values are evident in PSHE / RHE and children understand how it can celebrate difference.
At St. Filumena's we use the Diocesan approved 'TenTen' program of Relationships and Health Education called, "Life to The Full". This programme is rooted in a Christian understanding of the human person, based on “A Model Catholic RSE Curriculum” provided by the Catholic Education Service. This programme has been adopted by Governors following a period of consultation.
Additional information about this program for parents is provided under the 'parents' section of this website.